Sunday, April 24, 2016

It's about the little things. Random Acts of service.


We truly believe that showing your kids by example is so incredibly important.  Yes they can learn on their own by making their own decisions but what a difference it can make if you offer suggestions, give hints, etc for things they could do and see how they run with it. 
 
We were asked to participate in a fun new show called RANDOM ACTS on KBYU TV.  I am absolutely in love with this concept.  I get a kick out of doing random spontaneous things and then you throw service in there and it's a win win for everyone!! Involve your kids and it's like we won the jackpot!  Showing Olivia a list of random acts she could choose from and then letting her do it was just as much fun as anything.  She choose to deliver flowers to a neighbor.  She chose the neighbor, and wrote the note. I tried not to hover as a mom and correct her. I give myself a B+ for effort on that.  I prepared the flowers that I actually had just bought from the cheapo section in Walmart.  And she ran them up to the door.  We talked about it the rest of the evening, wondering how something so simple and small for us, could have made their day!
 

 
You may not be aware of this but kids can become pretty self absorbed, I wonder where they get that from?  So to help turn some time and distraction from what she wanted or what she thought she was missing out on, it was the perfect moment for me to bring this opportunity up.  It turned her focus from herself to something better and simple yet impactful.  I loved watching it.    

To arrange these flowers and spruce them up a bit, I took a Trader Joes sack and cut it up.  Folded the corners in a little and wrapped the flowers around it.  It looked so fancy I tell you what!!

 
So check out Random Acts for a list of idea that they have and how you can do simple and fun things with your kids to make someone else's day, and I'm willing to be yours as well.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment